The tendency of the students to leave the compulsory school education age is still a common problem in many countries. In recent years, students’ leaving school or leaving school tendency has become one of the biggest problems. Today, there are students who are enrolled in schools but who are at risk of continuing their education for different reasons. In particular, the absenteeism causes students to leave the school and leave the system. This risk in the education of the individual may lead to negative consequences such as crime in the long term, beginning of harmful habits and unemployment. This problem, which arises in the habit of absenteeism, can increase the risk of failure as an adult in the future.
The importance of a student to attend school is also important for the development of social skills. It is observed that students who do not attend school regularly lack the social interaction and academic development associated with peer learning. The negative effect of academic development can lead to a decrease in self-confidence of the student and self-abstraction in a social sense. For this reason, absenteeism is a danger sign for administrators, teachers, family and especially students.
It is necessary to focus on the problem of school drop in every level of education and training. The first thing that should be done for this purpose is to determine the factors that cause students to absent. If the reasons for absenteeism are revealed and necessary analyzes are carried out, action can be taken and some special measures can be taken. Thus, a significant progress has been made for the better performance of students, teachers and school. Therefore, preventive efforts should be made in schools to reduce this risk. Some suggestions for preventive services can be listed as follows:
- To increase the school-family cooperation and to increase the awareness of parents in education.
- To focus on family education and to create awareness through trainings.
- Negative peer effect becomes apparent when parenting attitudes cannot meet the psychological needs of the adolescent. Adolescents may try to meet their needs in peer groups such as unaccompanied belonging, validation and adherence to the group. Therefore, to develop and implement programs in which parents are able to meet their psychological needs in a family environment and how skills can be developed to develop family loyalty.
- Educating students with high self-efficacy.
- To give trainings about peer bullying.
- Educating students with high self esteem.
- Rearranging learning environments.
- To direct students to higher education institutions in line with their interests and abilities.
- To provide support and advice by identifying those who are at risk of early school leaving.
- Conducting meetings with teachers, students and their families.
- Establishing monitoring and evaluation system for students. Encourage students to complete their education when they fall below their expected academic level or at risk.
- Increasing out-of-school activities and activities
- Opening courses for students’ interests and abilities
- Conducting activities to reduce exam anxiety
- To create time zones for students.
- Rearranging lesson hours.
- Update teaching method techniques to increase student interaction
- Organizing lessons for prospective teachers who will graduate from faculties of education to prevent drop-out
- Developing alternative education and school models to control academic failure.
- Providing the necessary orientation service to the students coming to school. To provide group counseling services especially in the areas where communication skills, adaptation skills, relationship skills, academic skills, etc. are determined by checking the students’ life skills.
Ø The low level of academic achievement can create a concern for both success and future in the student’s life. In addition, academic self-esteem can also be negatively affected by lower scores. Therefore, to help students gain academic skills to help them to improve their academic success.Ø To carry out studies that control risk factors for students and their families in risk group. For example, psychological counseling activities aimed at parents can be designed as to how the social support can be offered to the adolescent and how to establish loyalty to the family. For adolescents, psychological counseling services can be offered to reduce and eliminate personal risk factors such as low self-esteem, negative thoughts on the future, lack of academic self-confidence, lack of academic skills, inadequate skills to cope with stressful situations, and importance to education.
The absence of indications of school dropout is the most important oversight in educational systems. For applying all these measures, first we have to detect at the beginning the students who are at risk of ESL. Under Erasmus + project “United against ESL”, 2018-1-BG01-KA201-047850 we have created Early Warning System to prevent ESL and documents accompanying each step.